1. Be The Dance (4:31) Comp. by Sumi Tonooka. www.sumitonooka.com. From the album Long Ago Today. Sumi Tonooka, piano; Rufus Reid, bass; Bob Braye, drums.
2. Pensivity (7:43) Composed by Matt Criscuolo. From the album Melancholia. www.mattcriscuolo.com. Matt Criscuolo, alto sax; Larry Willis, piano; Billy Drummond, drums; Phil Bower, bass.
Frost School of Music—University of Miami
3. All About The Sauce (4:32) Comp. by Scott Toutenberg. Denmaster Music. www.miami.edu. Frost School of Music, University of Miami Jazz Ensemble.
4. Two Of A Kind (5:48) Composed by Don Braden. www.donbraden.com. From the album Gentle Storm (High Note). Don Braden, tenor sax, flute; George Colligan, piano; Joris Teepe, bass; Cecil Brooks III, drums.
5. Phenix (5:38) Composed by Jeremy Pelt. Jeremy Pelt, trumpet; JD Allen, tenor sax; Danny Grissett, piano; Dwayne Burno, bass; Gerald Cleaver, drums. Track used by permission of MAXJAZZ. Sponsored by Yamaha. www.yamaha.com
Manhattan School of Music
6. Aboleo (5:00) Composed by Billy Norris. www.msmnyc.edu. Sam Ryder, tenor saxophone; Jonathan Barnes, trumpet; Craig Davis, piano; Billy Norris, bass; Will Clark, drums.
7. Resilience (4:57) Composed by Greg Osby. From the album 9 Levels by Greg Osby. www.GregOsby.com. Greg Osby, alto, soprano sax; Sara Serpa, vocals; Nir Felder, guitar; Adam Birnbaum, piano; Joseph Lepore, bass; Hamir Atwal, drums. Sponsored by Monteverde Music. www.monteverdemusic.com
8. Cleome (6:25) Composed by Judi Silvano. From the album Cleome Live Takes. www.judisilvano.com. Judi Silvano, voice, alto flute; George Garzone, clarinet, soprano and tenor saxophones; Gerry Hemmingway, drums, background vocals; Michael Formanek, John Lindberg, bass.
Steve Hashimoto’s Mothra
9. Farewell To Manzanar (5:00) Composed by Steve Hashimoto. From the album Tradewind. Sponsored by Chicago Sessions. www.chicagosessions.com. Steven Hashimoto, electric bass; Neal Alger, electric guitar; Kathy Kelly, vibraphone; Dan Hesler, tenor, alto & soprano sax, Michael Levin, tenor & soprano sax, clarinet, bass clarinet, flute; Heath Chappell, drums.
10. My Response (5:24) Composed by Fred Taylor. www.FredTaylorMusic.com From the album Circling. Fred Taylor, drums; Bob Ackerman, alto saxophone, flute, clarinet; Rick Crane, double bass.
11. No. 7 Silhouette (5:00)
Composed by Rusty York. From the album Thoughts Take Flight—A Love and Stress Compound; www.diaticrecords.com. Dusty York, tenor saxophone; Justin Durrie, bass; Russ Kleiner, drums.
Jamey Aebersold Play-Along
12. Jimmy Smith Shuffle (5:35) Composed by Jamey Aebersold; From the album Jamey Aebersold, Volume 120 - Feelin’ Good! Sponsored by Aebersold Jazz. www.aebersold.com. Bobby Floyd, B-3 Organ; Dave Stryker, guitar; Jonathan Higgins, drums.
13. The Music of George Garzone and The Triadic Chromatic Approach DVD. Sponsored by JodyJazz Inc. www.jodyjazz.com. George Garzone, tenor sax; Mike Mainieri, vibraphone; Frank Tiberi: tenor sax; Bob Gullotti, drums; John Lockwood, bass; Chris Crocco, guitar
14. BONUS MUSIC SUPPLEMENT to Jazz Improv® Magazine Vol. 8, No. 3: E-book with 173 pages of songs, solo transcriptions, practice exercises, and a full big band arrangement, including score and parts.
Herbie Hancock 31
2009 Jazz Education Sourcebook 55
Annual Rhythm Section Directory 46
Piano, Bass, Drums, Vibes
Michael Abene 95
Bob Mintzer 105
Mark Weinstein 113
Harvey Mason 118
Dave Holland 126
Dena DeRose 132
Sumi Tonooka 136
The Real World 13
Why Jazz by Todd Coolman
From The Bridge 16
The Sport Of Listening by Sue Terry
Browsing The Bins 18
by Curtis Davenport
Notes On Writing and Jazz by Bob Gish
Apple Chorus 26
Estate Italiano By Ira Gitler
Exchange Place 143
by Sandy Sasso
Mind, Body & Spirit 207
by Eric Nemeyer
139 Enrico Pieranunzi: The Man, The Music and Beyond, by Gilbert Mathieu
149 Elements Of Jazz: The ABCs of Bebop Ornamentation, by Greg Fishman
155 Steps Along The Path: Making Your CD, by Dave Frank
157 Piano Perspectives: SATB + 1 Rootless Open Position Voicings, by Rick Helzer
SONGS & ANALYSIS
148 “Pennies From Heaven” Analysis by Eric Nemeyer
149 Lead Sheet: “Pennies From Heaven”
MUSIC BOOK REVIEWS
162 Ken Hatfield: Etudes for Solo Guitar in 24 Keys
The Best of Sher Music Company Real Books
Getting Your Improvising Into Shape, by David Becker
163 Jazz Saxophone Etudes:Volume 2, by Greg Fishman
The Serious Jazz Book II, by Barry Finnerty
The Art Of Playing With Brushes
164 Steve Smith Drum Legacy Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants
INSTRUCTIONAL COURSE REVIEW
165 The Perfect Pitch Ear Training Course
DVD & BOOK REVIEWS
All You Need Is Love
From The Publisher
Index To Advertisers
REVIEWS OF RECORDINGS
168 3D Ritmo de Vida, Que Siga La Rumba
Steve Allee, Dragonfly
169 Dre Barnes, Wandering Spirits
170 Jeff Barone
Don Braden, Gentle Storm
171 Brazilian Trio, Forests
Randy Brecker, Randy In Brasil
172 Mike Clark, Blueprints of Jazz, Volume 1
Jeff Coffin Mu’tet, Mutopia
173 Todd Coolman, Perfect Strangers
174 Miles Davis All-Stars featuring John Coltrane,
Broadcast Sessions 1958-59
175 Joey DeFrancesco, Joey D!
176 Denise Donatelli, What Lies Within
177 Amina Figarova, Above The Clouds
178 Five Play, What The World Needs Now
Chris Flory, For You
179 Al Foster, Love, Peace and Jazz
180 Laszlo Gardony, Dig Deep
Tori Gee, Getting Sentimental
181 Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band, Act Your Age
Larry Gray, 1,2,3…
182 Jeff Hackworth, Where The Blues Begins
Larry Ham, Just Me, Just You
Billy Harper, Blueprints of Jazz, Vol. 2
183 Lisa Hearns, I Got It Bad and That Ain’t Good
184 Nicole Henry, The Very Thought Of You
Conrad Herwig, The Latin Side of Wayne Shorter
185 Dave Holland, Pass It On
186 Dick Hyman, Thinking About Bix
Bujo Kevin Jones, LIVE!
Randy Klein, The Flowing
187 Steve Kroon, El Mas Alla (Beyond)
188 Ralph Lalama, Energy Fields
Joe LoCascio, Ghosts
189 Joe Lovano, Symphonica
Phil Markowitz, Catalysis
190 Veronica Martell, The Great City
191 Nora McCarthy, Circle Completing
Donny McCaslin, Recommended Tools
192 Kate McGarry, If Less Is More…Nothing Is
Drori Mondlak, Point In Time
193 James Moody, & Hank Jones, Our Delight
194 Michael Moore & Fred Hersch, This We Know
195 Bill Moring, Spaces In Time
New Jazz Composers Octet, The Turning Gate
196 Nuttree Quartet, Standards
Aaron Parks, Invisible Cinema
197 Bruno Råberg, Lifelines
Shaynee Rainbolt, Charmed Life: Shaynee Rainbolt
Sings Russell Garcia
198 Nelson Riddle, Cross Country Suite
199 Sonny Rollins, Road Shows, Vol. 1
Josh Roseman, New Constellations: Live In
200 Mark Sherman, Live At The Bird’s Eye
201 Judi Silvano, Cleome: Live Takes
4 Five VI, 3 Film Scores By Rolf Sturm
202 Fred Taylor, Circling
Tom Teasley, Painting Time
203 Sarah Vaughan with Woody Herman, On The
Radio: The 1963 Live Guard Sessions
Mark Weinstein, Lua e Sol
204 Dusty York, Thoughts Take Flight – A Love and Stress
205 Lori Bell, The Music of Djavan
Claudio Roditi, Brazilliance X 4
John Stein, En-Counter Point
206 Ravi Coltrane, Blending Times
Here’s what’s in the 200 page e-Book on the Enhanced Companion CD this issue of Jazz Improv
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Tim Armacost,
Tenor Sax Solo, From the album Fire by Tim Armacost. Transcribed by Raleigh Dailey.
4 C Instruments
7 Bb Instruments
10 C Instruments
13 Bass Clef Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Kenny
Barron, Piano Solo, From the album Fire by Tim Armacost. Transcribed by Raleigh Dailey.
16 C Instruments
20 Bb Instruments
24 C Instruments
28 Bass Clef Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Paul Desmond, Alto Sax Solo, From the album Dave Brubeck At Carnegie Hall. Transcribed by Rick Helzer.
32 C Instruments
37 Bb Instruments
42 Eb Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Ben Webster, Tenor Sax Solo, Transcribed by John Alexander.
47 C Instruments
49 Bb Instruments
51 Eb Instruments
53 Bass Clef Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Lester Young, Tenor Sax Solo, Transcribed by John Alexander.
55 C Instruments
59 Bb Instruments
63 Eb Instruments
67 Bass Clef Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Bob Brookmeyer, Trombone Solo, Transcribed by Adam Perlmutter.
71 C Instruments
72 Bb Instruments
73 Eb Instruments
74 Bass Clef Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Al Cohn, Tenor Sax Solo, Transcribed by Adam Perlmutter.
75 C Instruments
77 Bb Instruments
79 Eb Instruments
81 Bass Clef Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Harry Edison, Trumpet Solo, Transcribed by Adam Perlmutter.
83 C Instruments
85 Bb Instruments
87 Eb Instruments
89 Bass Clef Instruments
“Pennies From Heaven” - Composed by Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke. Hank Jones, Piano Solo, Transcribed by Adam Perlmutter.
91 C Instruments
92 Bb Instruments
93 Eb Instruments
94 Bass Clef Instruments
95 “Two Of A Kind” - Composed by Don
BIG BAND JAZZ ENSEMBLE ARRANGEMENT
97 “Red and Blue” (Score) - Composed
by John Alexander
108 “Red and Blue” (Parts) - Composed by
158 SCALES - C, Bb, Eb, Bass Clef Instruments
162 CHORD ARPEGGIOS - C, Bb, Eb, Bass Clef Inst.
166 PATTERNS - C, Bb, Eb, Bass Clef Inst.
170 INTERVALS - C, Bb, Eb, Bass Clef
Give us a call or email below.